Skip to main content

iperf Test Throughput of link

In my day to day office work. I need to check actual throughput of the local link, that should be wire or wireless. For that process I use iperf tool which is perfect tool for the purpose.

Here I write tutorial how to use that tool. I'm using this tool for window, so download iperf for window and place it in Desktop or as your choice.

Now go to that folder using cd [FolderName], in my case I place it on desktop.

C:\Users\jpudasaini\Desktop\iperf>dir

03/13/2013  08:07 AM    <DIR>          .
03/13/2013  08:07 AM    <DIR>          ..
08/15/2010  01:54 AM            46,094 cyggcc_s-1.dll
08/15/2010  01:54 AM           791,566 cygstdc++-6.dll
08/31/2010  09:00 AM         2,648,181 cygwin1.dll
06/22/2011  03:56 PM    <DIR>          doc
03/13/2013  07:09 AM         1,268,927 iperf-2.0.5-2-win32.zip
02/02/2011  02:00 PM            95,125 iperf.exe
03/13/2013  08:07 AM               298 test.txt
               6 File(s)      4,850,191 bytes
               3 Dir(s)  36,552,073,216 bytes free

We need to create server first, for that use following command,

C:\Users\jpudasaini\Desktop\iperf>iperf -s

you are in iperf directory, from there just use following command to test the actual bandwidth of the link

C:\Users\jpudasaini\Desktop\iperf>iperf -c 10.10.10.10
Output might look like this

------------------------------------------------------------
Client connecting to 10.10.10.10, TCP port 5001
TCP window size: 64.0 KByte (default)
------------------------------------------------------------
[  3] local 10.10.10.11 port 54723 connected with 10.10.10.10 port 5001
[ ID] Interval       Transfer     Bandwidth
[  3]  0.0-10.0 sec   100 MBytes  84.0 Mbits/sec

If you like to test bidirectional use this command
 C:\Users\jpudasaini\Desktop\iperf>iperf -c 10.10.10.10 -d

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Unable to open kernel device . global vmx86 windows 7

Suddenly I encounter a weird problem with VMware 9 version. I install different OS for my education and testing purposed. Like MAC os, Ubuntu, CentOS, BT, WinXP, Win-server 2003. When I tried to run one of this OS a error message appear. unable to open kernel device "\\.Global\vmx86": The system cannot find the file specified. Did you reboot after installing VMware Workstation? Failed to initialize monitor device. Click ok you can see this window After googling I found one solution in developer forum but thread starter never use that method. So I tried it and here is my finding. Go to the directory of vmware installed  (In my case I run it as Administrator) C:\Program Files (x86)\VMware\VMware Workstation>   ( I've 32-bit apps on 64-bit OS, your may be different) Run this command vnetlib -- uninstall vmx86  reboot Go to the same directory and check net start command - this time it should say "service name  is invalid&quo

Simple Failover Mikrotik

Simple fail-over Mikrotik router configuration. Most of the user wants backup link (Fiber link with Wireless backup), in case fiber down wireless link auto up. No downtime for the user. Here is simple setting on Mikrotik for fail-over. I'm very great full to Anton to point out the mistake in src-address. It has been corrected now. ****default routes for new outgoing traffic.**** /ip route add dst-address=0.0.0.0/0 gateway=ISP-GW-ADDR-1 distance=1 check-gateway=ping add dst-address=0.0.0.0/0 gateway=ISP-GW-ADDR-2 distance=2 ++masquerade both WAN connections++ /ip firewall nat add chain=srcnat src-address=192.168.0.0/24 out-interface=WAN-1 action=masquerade add chain=srcnat src-address=192.168.0.0/24 out-interface=WAN-2 action=masquerade Thats it.

Mikrotik SXT 5nD r2 setup in bridge mode

How to connect two Mikrotik RouterBoard SXT 5nD r2 devices together in Bridge Mode Upgrading you SXT's to the Latest version of RouterOS Doing a Bandwidth Test between two RouterBoard SXT-5nD's Mikrotik routerboard default IP is 192.168.88.1 You can connect with routerboard by WinBox through IP and MAC address. You need to download WinBox from mikrotik website. By default routerboard have Admin as username and blank password. If you want to connect with device through IP then don't forget to add same network address into your pc NIC, otherwise connection isn't established. Else you can connect through MAC so choose MAC address from Elipsis next to " connect " field. When you login, "RouterOS Default configuration" screen is popup. click okay. Do same for other device to login to routerOS If you followed the process then you already open both device. Now you can set a HostName for those devices. Click on the system button o